Health is becoming an increasingly important part of food and drink sector development and aligning your business with awards that celebrate a commitment to the provision of healthy food can be worth doing.
The Healthy Living Award is one such scheme that is well worth looking at. It's free to participate in, it's open to most catering businesses and its based on teh principles of a healthy balanced diet, for example, using healthy ingredients and preparation methods. For example:
- Levels of fats and oils, particularly saturated fat, must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of salt must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of sugar must be kept to a minimum.
- Fruit and vegetables must be clearly available.
- Starchy foods must form the main part of most meals.
- Where appropriate, healthy and nutritious children's food should be provided.
- At least 50 percent of the food on the menu must meet the specific healthyliving criteria, prepared using both healthier ingredients and cooking methods
- Have a promotion and marketing strategy which works alongside the general principles of the healthyliving award and supports healthier eating.
Full details and the award criteria can be found on the Healthy Living Award website.